Translate

Monday, September 24, 2012

Tales of the Belle and her Beast- Blog Day 2

First of all I would like to say it probably took me five minutes to find the page to write this post!
Second I would like to say that I call my husband a Beast in the way Urban Dictionary describs it:

  1. Someone who is good at something, so much so that it exceeds human comprehension making them 'non-human' or 'beastly'.
  2. Someone with a dominant presence. He is the only one I can see because he is such a "big" part of my life. 
  3. A cool and sexy man. "He's such a Beast".
and then just for fun:

     4. A person or thing that is ripped, tough, and has an intimidating presence.

WARNING! If you click the Urban Dictionary link, just be careful. This website is definitions of slang words and some people use profanity.

Third- I was going to entitle this post "Tales of a Wild Child" at first because I am currently in love with a song called "Wild child" By Enya. This is some of my happy music! Go ahead and take a listen:


Fourth (and last before I actually get to the story), since Blogs are about making things up check out what i just recently made!

Homemade Poptarts


Ingredients:
  • 1-1/2 cups sifted flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup shortening
  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter
  • 3 tablespoons cold water
Directions:
Combine flour and salt in bowl. Add shortening or butter and blend with fork, pastry cutter or your fingers until mixture is fairly coarse. Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, gently mixing dough after each addition until dough forms a ball. (Dough can also be prepared in food processor. Use the pulse button just until it starts to pull away from the sides. Be very careful not to overwork the dough.) Place dough on a lightly floured surface and roll into a square/rectangle. Cut out long strips about 2 inches wide, and 3 inches long. Repeat till you run out of dough.
Peabody is another blogger so I'd go check them out also! I found their crust recipe from yet another blogger via pintrest called Bake Me More. The only thing I didn't like about these recipes is it didn't say how many delicious pastries it made! I found out it made approximately 7, and for the 8 almost 9 people in my family that was barely one per person, which after you eat them you'll find out why 7 is definitely not enough! That's about one box of those cardboard pop tarts! Alot of my family thought they were even better then the almost too sugary toaster stroodles! When I try them again I'll make more and maybe even some chocolate filled ones for my dad who doesn't like seeds.
Homemade Strawberry Pop Tarts
makes approximately 7 tarts
Homemade Pop-Tarts
Don't worry if yours don't turn out like the above...because mine certainly didn't!
Ingredients:
  • Pie crust, refrigerated or homemade (see above for Peabody's Crust)
  • Jam or Preserves (my other mother, Mama G, just gave me homemade raspberry and strawberry jam that I used and if possible I would suggest using a homemade recipe!)
  • Glaze or Egg wash (I just used the glaze which is below)
  • Sparkling Sugar (optional, but it makes them more pretty)
Directions:
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. ("I went by the temp setting on the box, the original recipe calls for 450." says Bake Me More)
If using refrigerated pre-made pie crust:
 Unroll one of the pie crusts and square the edges. Cut into rectangles. Place 1 tsp of jam in the center of a rectangle and top with another piece of crust. Crimp all four edges. Repeat until all of the pie crust is used. I also took the rounded edges that I cut off and rolled them together to form more pop-tarts. They weren’t as “pretty” as the others, but I hate to waste food.
If Using Peabody's homemade Crust:
Lightly flour any surface to roll out your dough and cut into rectangles or squares like in the recipe above. I just used a butter knife and cut all the way down, but if you have a rectangle cookie cutter I suggest using that instead, until all the dough is used up. Take one pie crust rectangle, fill with a tsp of jam. Cover with another piece of pie crust. Crimp all four edges. Repeat until you run out of pie crust. Bake at 450F for abou7-8 minutes or until slightly brown. Set aside to cool. Once cooled, pour glaze on to Pop-tart and decorate with sparkling sugar.
Bake the pop-tarts for about 7 – 8 minutes or until slightly brown. Once cool, pour glaze over and decorate with sugar. If you don’t want to add extra sugar with the glaze, you can use an egg wash on the tops  with some white sugar.

To Make the Glaze:
  • 1 cup powder sugar
  • milk to thin
Place powdered sugar in bowl. Pour milk slowly until it has a consistency of really thick syrup.

Okay now moving on, if you are still with me after this super long post. 
Once upon a time, in a land not so far away, there lived a young woman. She was an ordinary looking girl, or so she thought. She was of far more precious worth than even she realized as she was the daughter of a king and queen. She could not see her father the king, but she could talk to him as often as she wanted and could feel his presence. 
One day, the young woman was distraught. She would go out and wade in the lake to wait for her prince to come but all she could get were frogs! In disgust she would head back to her home and talk to her father. 
"Father," She would say. "I am sick of all these frogs! I want a prince who can take me to your beautiful Castle and we can all be a family forever someday! If I'm going to fall in love again he better be the right one! He better want a family, he better love me second to you, father, he better be strong, especially spiritually, and he better know where his priorities are!" 
The King, although the young woman could not see him, smiled all knowingly and told his daughter to be patient, she just had to look in a different place, and her prince would be waiting there, prepared just for her, around the corner. 
A few months went by and the young woman kept wading in the lake waiting for her prince. Another frog came up to her and wanted to hold her hand. The young woman didn't know it was a frog and loved having the attention. The more she learned about the frog and his nasty habits of eating flies for dinner she knew she couldn't be in a relationship with him. She realized that it felt nice to be admired by someone but it wasn't worth the slime. 
And then it began to rain. Hard. 
In a rush the young woman began to run towards the warmth and dry home. Inside it was warm and comfortable and bright. There was a young man there whom the young woman had seen before talking to all the people of the church about the adventure he had gone on. The young woman in her heart knew she wanted to talk to him, but she was wet and cold and didn't want to embarrass  herself in front of everyone. When she had gotten into a clean dress and was dry she went back to talk to him but he was gone. The young woman went up to her sister who had told her that he was going to be in the village to teach her class all of the next week. Excited the young woman prepared for what she was going to do. But no one expected what would happen next.
To be continued...
M.E.G
  

No comments:

Post a Comment